Re: SQL Property Graph Queries (SQL/PGQ)

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Imran Zaheer <imran(dot)zhir(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL Property Graph Queries (SQL/PGQ)
Date: 2024-08-05 13:12:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Imran,

On Sun, Aug 4, 2024 at 12:32 PM Imran Zaheer <imran(dot)zhir(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi
> I am attaching a new patch for a minor feature addition.
>
> - Adding support for 'Labels and properties: EXCEPT list'

Do you intend to support EXCEPT in the label expression as well or
just properties?

> Please let me know if something is missing.

I think the code changes are in the right place. I didn't review the
patch thoroughly. But here are some comments and some advice.

Please do not top-post on hackers.

Always sent the whole patchset. Otherwise, CI bot gets confused. It
doesn't pick up patchset from the previous emails.

About the functionality: It's not clear to me whether an EXCEPT should
be applicable only at the time of property graph creation or it should
be applicable always. I.e. when a property graph is dumped, should it
have EXCEPT in it or have a list of columns surviving except list?
What if a column in except list is dropped after creating a property
graph?

Some comments on the code
1. You could use list_member() in insert_property_records() to check
whether a given column is in the list of exceptions after you have
enveloped in String node.
2. The SELECT with GRAPH_TABLE queries are tested in graph_table.sql.
We don't include those in create_property_graph.sql
3. Instead of creating a new property graph in the test, you may
modify one of the existing property graphs to have a label with except
list and then query it.

We are aiming a minimal set of features in the first version. I will
let Peter E. decide whether to consider this as minimal set feature or
not. The feature looks useful to me.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat