Re: Serializable Isolation and read/write conflict with index and different keys

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Luca Looz <luca(dot)looz92(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Forums postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Serializable Isolation and read/write conflict with index and different keys
Date: 2017-08-29 22:13:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 4:28 AM, Luca Looz <luca(dot)looz92(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I'm trying to use the serializable isolation but i'm getting read/write
> dependencies error even if i have an unique index on the column used and the
> transactions are using different keys.
> For an example see this gist:
> https://gist.github.com/nathanl/f98450014f62dcaf0405394a0955e18e
> Is this an expected behavior?

Take a look at the EXPLAIN plan for the SELECT. You'll get fine
grained SIREAD locks if it's doing a btree index scan, but table-level
SIREAD locks for other kinds of plans. Sometimes simple SSI tests can
show a lot of false positives just because of empty tables or missing
statistics (ANALYZE).

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com