Re: pgsql: Use better comment marker in Autoconf input

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Munro <munro(at)ip9(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Use better comment marker in Autoconf input
Date: 2019-02-11 20:35:43
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 3:46 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Thomas Munro <munro(at)ip9(dot)org> writes:
> > It was using CC="ccache cc" for C, but no explicit CXX. Somehow our
> > configure script flipped from finding c++ (the system C++ compiler,
> > which is Clang) to finding g++ (an old GCC port I had installed) after
> > that commit, and the resulting .so didn't work too well. I did not
> > upgrade or change anything at that time. I must admit that commit of
> > Peter's looks fairly innocent though. Is it possible that an earlier
> > change caused it, but this change caused the "accache" to be cleared?
>
> Yeah, I think you're on the right track. Had you made any changes in
> that animal's configuration file between 21 Jan (the previous touch
> of "configure" was in ee27584c4) and 9 Feb? Or updated the platform's
> compilers?

Oh, yeah, I remember now that I installed an old GCC a few weeks back
when testing some theory or other. I am slightly surprised that we
prefer g++ to c++, so that merely installing it has this effect.
Anyway, I've now set the compiler explicitly. Sorry for the noise.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com