Re: Postgresql in a Virtual Machine

From: Dong Ye <yedong2005(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Gudmundsson Martin (mg)" <martin(dot)mg(dot)gudmundsson(at)volvo(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql in a Virtual Machine
Date: 2013-11-28 18:11:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

> There was some earlier comment in this discussion about not using NFS datastores for Postgres VMDK's. Would you think you'd see a difference in scalability behavior or performance in these tests if a NFS datastore would be used instead? Provided the architecture is properly setup for that, with high speed low latency networking, and fast NAS storage.

Though not first-hand experience, my understanding is that performance
is not near the top of the list of considerations when weighing
different storage protocols. You might find the following docs useful:
http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/Storage_Protocol_Comparison.pdf
http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-3916.pdf

Cheers,
Dong