Re: Getting server crash on Windows when using ICU collation

From: Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Getting server crash on Windows when using ICU collation
Date: 2017-06-17 02:43:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 6:57 AM, Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 6/16/17 10:12, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> On 6/16/17 06:30, Amit Kapila wrote:
>>> How will this compare UTF-8 strings in UTF-8 encoding? It seems to me
>>> that ideally, it should use ucol_strcollUTF8 to compare the same,
>>> however, with patch, it will always ucol_strcoll as we never define
>>> HAVE_UCOL_STRCOLLUTF8 flag on Windows.
>>
>> We have a configure check for that, but I don't know how to replicate
>> that on Windows.
>>
>> If ucol_strcollUTF8 is not available, we have code to convert to UTF-16.
>> This is the same code that is used for non-Windows.
>
> After thinking about this some more, I have committed a change to define
> HAVE_UCOL_STRCOLLUTF8 on Windows unconditionally.

Surprisingly, I am not able to find this commit on a master branch.

Until someone figures
> out a different way, I think it's better that users of newish versions
> of ICU get the newer/better behavior, and users of older versions can
> file a bug. The alternative is that we forget about this and we keep
> using the old code path indefinitely.

Well, it will work for the users who are using ICU version >= 50 but
not for the older ICU versions So, we will have to figure out a way,
to either detect the availability of ucoll_strcollutf8() on Windows or
may be ICU version itself and set HAVE_UCOL_STRCOLLUTF8 flag
accordingly.

--
With Regards,
Ashutosh Sharma