xmin and very high number of concurrent transactions

From: Vijaykumar Jain <vjain(at)opentable(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: xmin and very high number of concurrent transactions
Date: 2019-03-12 19:19:29
Lists: pgsql-general

I was asked this question in one of my demos, and it was interesting one.

we update xmin for new inserts with the current txid.
now in a very high concurrent scenario where there are more than 2000
concurrent users trying to insert new data,
will updating xmin value be a bottleneck?

i know we should use pooling solutions to reduce concurrent
connections but given we have enough resources to take care of
spawning a new process for a new connection,

Regards,
Vijay