Re: Serious feedback and questions about the future of pgAdmin.

From: Shira Bezalel <shira(at)sfei(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Jack Royal-Gordon <jackrg(at)pobox(dot)com>, pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Serious feedback and questions about the future of pgAdmin.
Date: 2017-06-13 16:52:14
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi Dave.

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 1:38 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Question for the Developers: Are you all using Windows as your main
> testing
> > platform, or are most of you users of other platforms? If you’re not
> using
> > Windows, then that may account for the poor performance in Windows —
> since
> > most “business” work is done on Windows, it behooves you to focus on
> Windows
> > performance primarily (I say this even though I was thrilled to get off
> > Windows for so many reasons).
>
> All of the EDB team use either Mac or Linux (on a VM on Mac)
> primarily. I believe the Pivotal team are all Mac users as well.
>
> That said, I have been doing a fair bit of testing on Windows over the
> last week - but have failed to reproduce the extremes of slowness I've
> seen reported. For example, one user said he was using a modern quad
> core machine with 16GB RAM and SSD disk, and saw 1 minute+ startup
> times. I could only get close to this on a 10 year old Dell Optiplex
> 740 with a dual core AMD CPU, 6GB RAM and a spinning disk where I was
> seeing about 50 seconds to startup.
>
> On a 4GB, 2 core VM running on my Mac, I see ~20 seconds following a
> couple of tweaks I committed over the weekend, and oddly on a quad
> core i7 with 16GB and SSD, I'm seeing much the same startup time - so,
> not as fast as it ideally should be, but also nothing like as slow as
> some have reported.
>
> My testing so far is indicating that the slow part is QtWebEngine, the
> embedded Qt browser that's used in the runtime. Google shows that
> other users have also found this to be slow on Windows. Unfortunately
> I've yet to find a better option to replace it. This has been bourn
> out by other users who have reported much improved performance by
> running the server from the command line and connecting with a
> browser.
>
> That said, we're continuing to look at how performance there might be
> improved, as well as in other areas; for example, we're working on
> eliminating JS/CSS templates in the backend in favour of static files
> (which Ashesh has almost finished). That will minimise the amount of
> backend processing done when loading code. We'll also be webpacking
> the JS/CSS code to massively reduce the number of round trips the
> client makes to the server to load everything. This should also
> eliminate the "first-click delay" seen when opening some treeview
> nodes for the first time that occurs when it on-demand loads the
> required code.
>
> So I guess my main question here is; what is different about the OPs
> "*very* powerful and modern x86 workstation" that makes pgAdmin run so
> slowly on it? My first guess is anti-virus software. My machines all
> use Windows Defender, but perhaps something else is slowing down
> things (pgAdmin does have a lot of files to access). Perhaps adding
> the pgAdmin installation directory to the AV package's exclude list

On my Win10 machine, I just disabled the anti-virus software then timed how
long it took for pgAdmin 4 v1.5 to open when my machine was fairly idle.

It took 33 seconds. Re-enabled AV and it took the same amount of time to
open.

Systems specs:

Windows Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
16.0 GB RAM with about 11 GB free at the time of launching pgAdmin 4
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8
Logical Processor(s)

​Let me know if there are other tests or information that would be helpful.
I want to support the success of pgAdmin 4.

Thank you,​
Shira