Re: [pgadmin4][patch] Use pytest test runner for unit tests

From: Joao De Almeida Pereira <jdealmeidapereira(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Anthony Emengo <aemengo(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Subject: Re: [pgadmin4][patch] Use pytest test runner for unit tests
Date: 2018-06-04 14:26:19
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

> Known issues:
>>
>> - Python 2.7, the library we are using for assertions (Grappa) is
>> failing while trying to assert on strings. We created a PR to the library:
>> https://github.com/grappa-py/grappa/pull/43 as soon as this gets in
>> all the tests should pass
>>
>> Any guesses as to the ETA? Given that most of our dev, and our Windows
> and Mac packages both run on 2.7 at the moment, it's clear that this is a
> required fix before we can proceed.

Attached you can find the patch that bumps grappa to version 0.1.9 that
support Python 2.7

>> - Jenkins server need a change. Because we now run tests for a single
>> database at a time the Jenkins flow need to change. Our proposal for this
>> is to isolate each database in its own task something similar to the
>> pipeline that we currently use internally:
>>
>> ​
>>
>> [image: Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 3.36.37 PM.png]
>>
>> The boxes that we are pointing with the teal arrow represent 1 Python
>> Version Against 1 Database. This can be accomplished using Jenkins as well.
>> In order to accomplish that we are going to generate e Jenkinsfile(
>> https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/jenkinsfile/) to do this in a more
>> DSL manner, making it easier for us to deploy the pipeline in a more
>> consistent way. The LTS version of jenkins is 2.107.3 the version that we
>> have in CI should be ok, but is always good to be in a LTS version of
>> Jenkins or newer because the community is pretty active.
>> The idea would be to replace the 5 tasks that we have there and start
>> using a pipeline that will spawn docker containers to isolate the testing
>> between version/database. That is what we do with concourse as we depicted
>> in the previous image.
>> Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
>>
> Well the current public Jenkins system is going away soon, and the new one
> has had a ton of jobs created that assume the tests run in series
> automatically against each database server (and is completely different
> from the current system). I do plan to change that in the longer term, but
> it requires a change to the way I've been using (and know how to use)
> Jenkins.

Do you have a link to the new CI that you can share with us so we can take
a pick. We can give some advises on what we believe it is a a good flow for
the Continuous Delivery pipeline.
We have some examples from our pipeline that we can share:
Script that we use to run the UT + Feature tests on a docker image that has
python+yarn+selenium+postgres installed on it:
https://github.com/greenplum-db/pgadmin4-ci/blob/master/tasks/run-postgres-tests/run.sh

This type of scripts can be added to the Jenkinsfile to create a pipeline
step. A good practice in a reproducible pipeline is to use Docker to ensure
that every test runs in a clean and predictable environment, this make it
easy to reproduce a problem found in testing.

> However, the bigger problem for me is that I often run the tests against
> multiple DB servers on my laptop, without Jenkins. How would that workflow
> look now?

We understand that and it looks like an interesting use case and it could
be accomplished by creating a script of something similar that launch the
tests multiple times. That is something that we can schedule as a future
steps after this patch is reviewed and committed.

Thanks
Victoria & Joao

Attachment Content-Type Size
0004-Upgrade-grappa-to-support-python-2.7.patch application/octet-stream 411 bytes