Re: Time-Delayed Standbys

From: Mitsumasa KONDO <kondo(dot)mitsumasa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Christian Kruse <christian(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: KONDO Mitsumasa <kondo(dot)mitsumasa(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Time-Delayed Standbys
Date: 2013-12-04 14:02:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2013/12/4 Christian Kruse <christian(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>

> You created a master node and a hot standby with 3000000 delay. Then
> you stopped the standby, did the pgbench and startet the hot standby
> again. It did not get in line with the master. Is this correct?

No. First, I start master, and execute pgbench. Second, I start standby
with 3000000ms(50min) delay.
Then it cannot connect standby server by psql at all. I'm not sure why
standby did not start.
It might because delay feature is disturbed in REDO loop when first standby
start-up.

> I don't see a problem here… the standby should not be in sync with the
> master, it should be delayed. I did step by step what you did and
> after 50 minutes (3000000ms) the standby was at the same level the
> master was.

I think we can connect standby server any time, nevertheless with delay
option.

> Did I missunderstand you?

I'm not sure... You might right or another best way might be existed.

Regards,
--
Mitsumasa KONDO
NTT Open Source Software Center