Re: help getting a backtrace from 9.2 on Ubuntu 13.04?

From: Chris Curvey <chris(at)chriscurvey(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Chris Curvey <ccurvey(at)zuckergoldberg(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: help getting a backtrace from 9.2 on Ubuntu 13.04?
Date: 2013-09-16 00:09:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Chris Curvey <ccurvey(at)zuckergoldberg(dot)com
> > wrote:
>

>> Great thought. Looking through the logs, it appears that all my failures
>> are on a CREATE INDEX. Usually on my biggest table, but often on another
>> table.
>>

>> 2013-09-10 10:09:46 EDT ERROR: canceling autovacuum task
>>
>> 2013-09-10 10:09:46 EDT CONTEXT: automatic analyze of table
>> "certified_mail_ccc2.public.cm_status_history"
>>
>> 2013-09-10 10:15:13 EDT LOG: server process (PID 14386) was terminated
>> by signal 11: Segmentation fault
>>
>> 2013-09-10 10:15:13 EDT DETAIL: Failed process was running: CREATE INDEX
>> cm_envelope_tracking_number ON cm_envelope USING btree (tracking_number);
>>

>> 2013-09-10 10:15:13 EDT LOG: terminating any other active server
>> processes
>>
>> 2013-09-10 10:15:13 EDT WARNING: terminating connection because of crash
>> of another server process
>>
>> 2013-09-10 10:15:13 EDT DETAIL: The postmaster has commanded this server
>> process to roll back the current transaction and exit, because another
>> server process exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
>>

>> I cannot square this with the fact that when I echo the commands, the
>> last echoed command is about setting privileges.
>>

> A backend is crashing, and taking down the entire PostgreSQL system. The
> commands you see being echoed are from a different process from the one
> that triggered the crash, so it is just an innocent bystander which has no
> useful information. Are you using parallel restore? (If not, why is there
> someone indexing your biggest table during the restore?)

I'm the only person doing anything, and the only thing going on is the
restore. And I'm not using parallel restore (I thought that might be part
of the issue.)

> You will want to get the backtrace of the coredump generated by the
> crashed backend, not of the running process. Have you tried taking a bt
> with gdb? You said you couldn't find the symbols, but have you tried it
> anyway? On CentOS and openSuse I often get warnings about some symbols not
> being found, but all the symbols I actually need to interpret the backtrace
> end up being there.

I can try, but the instructions said that installing the -dev package by
itself was not sufficient, so I stopped at that point. But as they say in
the lottery ads, "Hey, you never know!"

> Cheers,
>
> Jeff

Many thanks!