Re: Segmentation fault: pg_upgrade 9.1 to 9.3: pg_dump: row number 0 is out of range 0..-1

From: Robert Nix <robert(at)urban4m(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Segmentation fault: pg_upgrade 9.1 to 9.3: pg_dump: row number 0 is out of range 0..-1
Date: 2013-09-16 00:06:44
Lists: pgsql-general

> What happens if you manually run the pg_dump command quoted above against
> a running 9.1 server, outside of the context of pg_upgrade? (Your port
> will be probably be different from 50432)
>
> If that still crashes, What if you drop the --binary-upgrade option? The
> --format=custom option?

I started the 9.1 server normally and ran the above pg_dump (with the
appropriate port for that instance).

| w/ -binary-upgrade | w/ --format=custom | crashed? |
| yes | no | yes |
| no | yes | no |
| yes | yes | yes |

So it seem the -binary-upgrade option has caused some problem. And the same
crash happens regardless of whether i use the 9.1's or 9.3's pg_dump.

You need to install the debugging symbols, which I have no experience doing
> under Ubuntu, but it should be easy to find instructions for. Or you could
> compile pg_dump from source, after configuring with --enable-debug.

I can handle the debug symbols build. I'll see what i can do if the pg_dump
information doesn't lead anywhere useful.

Thanks for the help