Re: Trouble installing psycopg2

From: Chris Curvey <chris(at)chriscurvey(dot)com>
To: Laura Tateosian <augori(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Trouble installing psycopg2
Date: 2013-09-26 18:23:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Laura Tateosian <augori(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to install psycopg2 on a Centos 5, 64-bit machine. I
> have both 2.4 and 2.7 Python versions on this machine. I attempted to
> install using
> easy-install2.7 psycopg2
>
> The install is not working. (I can't import psycopg2 in a python 2.7
> session). yum doesn't list it as installed.

Yum won't show it. (Yum is an OS-level package manager, easy_install is a
python-level package manager)

> But when I try to install it again, easy_install responds that it's
> already installed. That's the short version of the problem, more details
> below that may or may not be helpful.

Hmm. If you're absolutely sure that it's python2.7 that you're running, I
would get out the big hammer. Got to
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages, and rm(dir) anything related to
psycopg2. Then look in any "*.pth" files and delete lines related to
psycopg2. Then try re-running easy_install.

You would definitely need the -devel packages for PG because easy_install
is trying to compile a C module. But I've done the same thing before
(tried to install psycopg2 w/o the devel package installed), and just an
ordinary re-run fixed it for me.