locks within select

From: Marc Millas <marc(dot)millas(at)mokadb(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: locks within select
Date: 2021-12-14 04:14:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

To my understanding, a select on a table does acquire an access share lock
on that table.
my question is: is there any other kind of lock that a select may acquire ?
obviously, all explicit locking schemes like select for update, etc... is
out of this question scope.

I was wondering if for example, within a join, some kind of lock may be
acquired so that the dataset concerned is not changed during execution ?
(for example a delete then autovacuum ??)

thanks

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334