log shipping with pg_receivewal

From: Marc Millas <marc(dot)millas(at)mokadb(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: log shipping with pg_receivewal
Date: 2021-12-14 04:25:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
postgres 13 question,

if I setup pg_receivewal from a primary instance to a given directory, and
then setup a standby with a restore_command pointing to that directory,,
the changes on the primary are applied on the standby at each wal change.
And this, even if I run pg_receivewal with the --synchronous option.

My question: as the synchronous option is supposed to make pg_receivewal
write transaction immediately in the wal files, is there a way to ask the
standby to apply them on the fly ie. without waiting a wal file change ?

thanks,

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334