Help with a good mental model for estimating PostgreSQL throughput

From: David Ventimiglia <davidaventimiglia(at)hasura(dot)io>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Help with a good mental model for estimating PostgreSQL throughput
Date: 2023-10-30 15:05:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello!

Can someone help me develop a good mental model for estimating PostgreSQL
throughput? Here's what I mean. Suppose I have:

- 1000 connections
- typical query execution time of 1ms
- but additional network latency of 100ms

What if at all would be an estimate of the number of operations that can be
performed within 1 second? My initial guess would be ~10000, but then
perhaps I'm overlooking something. I expect a more reliable figure would
be obtained through testing, but I'm looking for an *a priori
*back-of-the-envelope
estimate. Thanks!

Best,
David