Re: Slow Delete : Seq scan instead of index scan

From: Sékine Coulibaly <scoulibaly(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sylvain CAILLET <scaillet(at)alaloop(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slow Delete : Seq scan instead of index scan
Date: 2012-10-16 08:01:01
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Sylvain,

Might sound like a nasty question, and gurus will correct me if I'm wrong,
but first thing to investigate is why the index is not used :
- You have 2/3 million rows per table so the planner should use the index.
Seqscan is prefered for small tables.
- Maybe the WHERE clause of your DELETE statement doesn't make use of your
start and end date columns ? If so, in which order ?

Please, provide with your Pg version and the table setup with the index.

Regards,

Sekine