Re: Slow Delete : Seq scan instead of index scan

From: Sylvain CAILLET <scaillet(at)alaloop(dot)com>
To: Sékine Coulibaly <scoulibaly(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slow Delete : Seq scan instead of index scan
Date: 2012-10-16 08:13:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Sékine,

You're right : my question is why the planner doesn't use the index ! My DELETE statements have WHERE clause like : start_date<1346486100000. They are executed to delete too old rows.
My postgresql version is 8.4. Below is an example of a table (they all have the same structure) :

CREATE TABLE agg_t100_outgoing_a39_src_net_f5
(
total_pkts bigint,
end_date bigint,
src_network inet,
start_date bigint,
total_flows bigint,
total_bytes bigint
)
WITH (
OIDS=FALSE
);

CREATE INDEX agg_t100_outgoing_a39_src_net_f5_end_date
ON agg_t100_outgoing_a39_src_net_f5
USING btree
(end_date);

CREATE INDEX agg_t100_outgoing_a39_src_net_f5_start_date
ON agg_t100_outgoing_a39_src_net_f5
USING btree
(start_date);

I have investigated in the pg_stat_all_tables table and it seems the autovaccum / autoanalyze don't do their job. Many tables have no last_autovacuum / last_autoanalyze dates ! So the planner doesn't have fresh stats to decide. Don't you think it could be a good reason for slow DELETE ? In this case, the trouble could come from the autovaccum configuration.

Regards,

Sylvain
----- Mail original -----