pgAdmin4 stopped working with VPN upon upgrade.

From: Rick K6y <rick(dot)k6y(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgAdmin4 stopped working with VPN upon upgrade.
Date: 2021-08-17 22:52:55
Lists: pgadmin-support

I run pgAdmin4 in an Ubuntu VM.
I connect to a PostgreSQL database running on AWS RDS.
To connect to RDS, I run an OpenVPN to AWS.
On my host OS, I run a VPN from my Windows virus software vendor for
general privacy.

All of this worked fine until today when I upgraded to pgAdmin4 5.6 using
*apt.*
Now I have to disconnect the VPN on my host OS.
With the host OS VPN up, expanding a table on the tree navigation (and
sometimes before I drill down that far) hangs.
I have to bring down the host OS VPN, and restart pgAdmin4 for it to start
working again.

I tried to find a way to downgrade pgAdmin4, but couldn't find how to do
this with *apt*. I tried to uninstall and then install specifying the
version, but I got this:

*~$* sudo apt install pgadmin4=5.5
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

pgadmin4 : Depends: pgadmin4-server (= 5.5) but 5.6 is to be installed
Depends: pgadmin4-desktop (= 5.5) but 5.6 is to be installed
Depends: pgadmin4-web (= 5.5) but 5.6 is to be installed

Can someone advise me?

I'm looking for either a way to downgrade pgAdmin using *apt*, or a way to
configure my connections in *pgAdmin4* to tolerate using my host OS VPN.