Re: Help with restoring a dump in Tar format? (dependencies/ordering)

From: Ken Tanzer <ken(dot)tanzer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Help with restoring a dump in Tar format? (dependencies/ordering)
Date: 2017-06-06 00:59:50
Lists: pgsql-general

> I can't really make this an FK. I can (and probably will) put this into a
>> trigger. Although it seems like an extra layer of wrapping just to call a
>> function. I'm curious if there's any conceptual reason why constraints
>> couldn't (as an option) be restored after all the data is loaded, and
>> whether there would be any negative consequences of that? I could see if
>> your data still didn't pass the CHECKs, it's already loaded. But the
>> constraint could then be marked not valid?
>>

> Not sure why just know that if I stay within the guidelines it works, if I
> do not its does not work:)

That's fair enough, leaving aside the curiosity part. Usually though the
things you can't do just aren't allowed. It's easier to overlook something
that you shouldn't (but can) do!

> See that, but in your scenario you wanted to create a 'scratch' database
> so you are back to a user with privileges.

Yeah, I was thinking pg_dump could just conjure it up in the ether (and
then discard it), but I can see that doesn't really work.

Basically, if you have no way to test your backup/restore procedure before
> hand you are flying blind.

In this case, we had tested the restore part. But then we changed the DB
in a way that made it stop working. Good reminder to retest that
periodically!

Ken

--
AGENCY Software
A Free Software data system

Subscribe to the mailing list
<agency-general-request(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net?body=subscribe> to
learn more about AGENCY or
follow the discussion.