Re: Help with restoring a dump in Tar format? (dependencies/ordering)

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Ken Tanzer <ken(dot)tanzer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Help with restoring a dump in Tar format? (dependencies/ordering)
Date: 2017-06-06 02:41:44
Lists: pgsql-general

On 06/05/2017 05:59 PM, Ken Tanzer wrote:

> Not sure why just know that if I stay within the guidelines it
> works, if I do not its does not work:)
>

> That's fair enough, leaving aside the curiosity part. Usually though
> the things you can't do just aren't allowed. It's easier to overlook
> something that you shouldn't (but can) do!

Yes, what you ran into is just a subset of a bigger issue. That being,
there are many ways you can dump a database and not get what you wanted
on the restore. Another example, that is similar, is using the -n switch
to pg_dump when you have cross schema references in the schema you did dump.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com