Re: Intervals and ISO 8601 duration

From: Ken Tanzer <ken(dot)tanzer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Sebastien Flaesch <sebastien(dot)flaesch(at)4js(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Intervals and ISO 8601 duration
Date: 2023-01-14 06:17:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 9:27 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 1/13/23 17:24, Ken Tanzer wrote:
>

> > -[ RECORD 1 ]-+---------------
> > i1 | 1 day 02:00:00
> > i2 | 26:00:00
> > i1_months | 0
> > i1_days | 1
> > i1_msec | 7200000
> > i2_months | 0
> > i2_days | 0
> > i2_msec | 93600000
> > equals | t
> > identical | f
> > i1_msec_total | 93600000
> > i2_msec_total | 93600000
>
> I don't see how the above answers, from your previous post, the below:
>
> 1) Is the internal representation in months, days and microseconds
> different for these two intervals?
> 2) (If no, what else is it that makes them non-identical?)
> 3) Is there a way to access the internal representation?
>
> What you have done is reformat the intervals and establish that the
> formatted values point back at equal and most probably identical values.

Well technically it's reformatted, but in a way that apparently will equal
the internal representation. So this helped me see what isn't identical
about the two, while still being equal. So the answers are

1) Yes. (Months/Days/Ms 0/1/7200000 vs 0/0/93600000)
2) n/a
3) Yes, there's a way (or at least a functional equivalent) if you do some
calculating... :)

Cheers,
Ken

--
AGENCY Software
A Free Software data system

Subscribe to the mailing list
<agency-general-request(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net?body=subscribe> to
learn more about AGENCY or
follow the discussion.