Re: 9.6 parameters messing up my 9.2 pg_dump/pg_restore

From: Ken Tanzer <ken(dot)tanzer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: 9.6 parameters messing up my 9.2 pg_dump/pg_restore
Date: 2017-06-30 03:33:31
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 9:34 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> Well sure, I can see it increases your chances of getting _something_
>> restored. But there's also a lot to be said for ensuring that _all_ your
>> data restored, and did so correctly, no?
>>

> Record the errors, and look through them to decide if they are important
> or not.

I'd still rather have the data be correct, or not at all. It also greatly
increases the chances someone will notice it, and let me know about it.

> But better yet, use v9.2 of pg_dump to dump things out of a 9.2 server
> which you want to load to another 9.2 server. Don't be at the mercy of
> your $PATH.

Yep, that's the direction I went.

> (Or even more better yet, upgrade the servers from 9.2 to 9.6, and then
> use 9.6's pg_dump)

On the todo list. I don't imagine though that I'm the only one who would
install a newer version of PG, do some testing, and then upgrade DBs to the
newer version, and possibly not do it all immediately and at once.

I think it's great and impressive that you can install and run two versions
simultaneously, but I have found a couple gotchas in the process. Maybe
those are documented somewhere, but if so I haven't seen it. The issues I
hit all had fairly easy solutions, but I'd humbly suggest that a "things to
watch out for when running multiple versions of Postgres concurrently"
might be a useful document.

Cheers,
Ken

--
AGENCY Software
A Free Software data system

Subscribe to the mailing list
<agency-general-request(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net?body=subscribe> to
learn more about AGENCY or
follow the discussion.