Postgresql Installation -- Red Hat vs OpenSUSE vs Ubuntu

From: Michael Convey <smconvey(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgresql Installation -- Red Hat vs OpenSUSE vs Ubuntu
Date: 2015-10-28 21:20:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm new to PostgreSQL. Regarding installation,
I'm trying to understand some of the differences between Red Hat, Ubuntu,
and OpenSUSE. My goal is to set up a self-contained lab instance for
learning on each distribution. So, I assume I'll need both the client and
server on each, right? From www.postgresql.org, the "most common and
important packages"​ for these distributions and their installation
instructions are as follows:

Red Hat: http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/
yum install postgresql-server postgresql-client postgresql-contrib
postgresql-devel pgadmin3

Ubuntu: http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/
apt-get
postgresql-client-9.4 postgresql-9.4 postgresql-contrib-9.4 libpq-dev
postgresql-server-dev-9.4 pgadmin3

OpenSUSE: http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/suse/
Unlike the postgresql.org webpages for Red Hat and Ubuntu, the OpenSUSE
webpage, doesn't provide a list of the "most common and important" packages
to get postgresql up and running. Instead, it refers me to this webpage:

https://software.opensuse.org/search?q=postgresql&baseproject=openSUSE%3A13.2&search_devel=false&search_unsupported=false

That webpage list a lot of postgresql package groups (with sub-packages).
Are the postgresql packages that are included in the default OpenSUSE
repositories the group of packages displayed as "postgesql" near the
upper-left corner of that webpage? If so, why doesn't the
http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/suse/ webpage list the "most
common and important" packaged like the
http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/ and
http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/ webpages? The
http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/suse/ webpage is not very user
friendly for new users.

Also, are the following equivalent?

Red Hat Ubuntu
postgresql-server postgresql-9.4
postgresql-client postgresql-client-9.4
postgresql-contrib postgresql-contrib-9.4
postgresql-devel postgresql-server-dev-9.4 libpq-dev
pgadmin3 pgadmin3

Does the Red Hat postgresql-devel package include the same programs as
Ubuntu's postgresql-server-dev-9.4 and libpq-dev packages?

What would be the OpenSUSE command to install the "most common and
important packages" that are equivalent to the Red Hat and Ubuntu packages
listed above?

zypper install ... ?