pg 16.4, logical replication, use case = data archiving

From: milist ujang <ujang(dot)milist(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg 16.4, logical replication, use case = data archiving
Date: 2024-08-20 00:26:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

I Play logical replication with row filter feature, my use case is data
archiving.
in lab env, it worked, my questions:
- during alter subscription, what about on-going DML? Can it be lost?
- any lock during alter subscription should I aware?

scenario:

# on source

tutorial=# ALTER PUBLICATION pub1 set TABLE users,likes,articles WHERE
(title <> 'del');

ALTER PUBLICATION

tutorial=# \dRp+

Publication pub1

Owner | All tables | Inserts | Updates | Deletes | Truncates | Via root

----------+------------+---------+---------+---------+-----------+----------

postgres | f | t | t | t | t | f

Tables:

"public.articles" WHERE (title <> 'del'::text)

"public.likes"

"public.users"

wait a moment....

update users set password_digest='del' where id=10;

wait a moment...

tutorial=# ALTER PUBLICATION pub1 set TABLE users WHERE (password_digest <>
'del'),likes,articles WHERE (title <> 'del');

ALTER PUBLICATION

tutorial=# \dRp+

Publication pub1

Owner | All tables | Inserts | Updates | Deletes | Truncates | Via root

----------+------------+---------+---------+---------+-----------+----------

postgres | f | t | t | t | t | f

Tables:

"public.articles" WHERE (title <> 'del'::text)

"public.likes"

"public.users" WHERE (password_digest <> 'del'::text)

delete from users where id=10;

# source and target

select * from users;

id=10 gone at source, but exist at target

--
regards

ujang jaenudin | Self-Employed, DBA Consultant
http://id.linkedin.com/pub/ujang-jaenudin/12/64/bab