Re: all non-PK columns from information schema

From: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz <postgresql6(at)numerixtechnology(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: all non-PK columns from information schema
Date: 2011-11-15 16:29:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:00 AM, Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz
<postgresql6(at)numerixtechnology(dot)de> wrote:
> Interesting. I have previously used the information_schema for similar
> queries.
>
> What are the pros and cons for using either pg_catalog or
> information_schema?

My understanding is that pg_catalog tables and views *can* change
between major releases while the information_schema is expected to be
more stable between major releases.

Applications that depend upon the information_schema rather than
pg_catalog are less likely to break when the PostgreSQL server is
upgraded.

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.