Merge all versions of postgres

From: Martín Marqués <martin(dot)marques(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-pkg-yum <pgsql-pkg-yum(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Merge all versions of postgres
Date: 2018-06-04 12:07:26
Lists: pgsql-pkg-yum

Hi,

We had a exchange of thoughts with a co-worker regarding packaging of
rpm and apt (for some automation of package installation) and one
question we were unable to answer: Why are the pgdg repositories for
rpms separated by version?

In Debian world there's a repository for each version of
Debian/Ubuntu, but not for each version of postgres.

Is it just like that for historical reasons or is there any other
underlying issue I haven't thought of?

Kind regards,

--
Martín Marqués