Re: Security patch older releases

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Erika Knihti-Van Driessche <erika(dot)knihti(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Security patch older releases
Date: 2019-08-29 12:17:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 2:05 PM Erika Knihti-Van Driessche <
erika(dot)knihti(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think I've seen this question pass by earlier, but don't immediately
> find it back..
>
> So, I have postgres 9.6.9 and customer wants it to be updated to 9.6.11,
> because that is their current testing "sandbox" version, which was not
> installed by me and is also another linux distro.
>
> Now, the newest security update is 9.6.15.. If I download that RHEL
> repository, I will automatically get that version, and won't be able to
> choose the exact patch..
>
> So my question is, is there a way to get the 9.6.11 update?

PostgreSQL does not release individual security patches. The way to get the
security patch is to install the latest minor version, see
https://www.postgresql.org/support/security/.

If you want to get an individual security patch you will have to cherry
pick it from git and build your own server from source. But per the above
link, it is really recommended that you don't do that. Instead, do it the
way it's intended to, which means install the latest minor release.

Why would you not want the other security patches, or other important
bugfixes?

--
Magnus Hagander