Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
Subject: Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA
Date: 2013-02-14 05:20:23
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian pgsql-www

On Feb 14, 2013 12:05 AM, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I was just setting up a new PostgreSQL ubuntu server, and was kind of
> stunned by the unnecessary complexity of the install instructions at
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/. Also, they don't work.

Worst bug report ever? I really would think you knew better...

*what* does not work?

> If we're going to move our users to apt.postgresql.org, we really need
> to provide a PPA for easy install.

Why? You keep claiming that a certain product is needed in different
scenarios. If that was actually true in most cases, no progress would've
been made on the postgres project at all in the past 5 years at least.

Now, I can agree the process needs to be improved. But requiring a specific
product is not the way - why don't you actually tell us what the *problem*
is, so that the proper solution can be given, regardless of what product is
used?

That said, I believe Christophe has on his to do list to set up a
"repository package" to simplify installation. Kind of the same way it
works for the yum repository. We do not agree on the priority and the
importance of that (and for the record, I'm on your side here thinking it's
really important), but iirc we did agree on that being the most way
forward. I don't know if he's started the work in it yet though.

/Magnus