Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
Subject: Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA
Date: 2013-02-14 06:21:40
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian pgsql-www

On 02/13/2013 09:20 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2013 12:05 AM, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
> <mailto:josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>> wrote:
> >
> > Folks,
> >
> > I was just setting up a new PostgreSQL ubuntu server, and was kind of
> > stunned by the unnecessary complexity of the install instructions at
> > http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/. Also, they don't work.
>
> Worst bug report ever? I really would think you knew better...
>
> *what* does not work?

It all works. The problem is, the number of steps in comparison to just
having a PPA.

> > If we're going to move our users to apt.postgresql.org
> <http://apt.postgresql.org>, we really need
> > to provide a PPA for easy install.
>
> Why? You keep claiming that a certain product is needed in different

Because it is what is expected by Ubuntu users.

When you want custom packages from a custom repo, you install a PPA.
When you want KDE 4.10 for precise you type KDE 4.10 precise PPA into
google.

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579