Re: mailing list redirect for bug numbers?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dimitri Fontaine <dim(at)tapoueh(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2019-01-18 15:43:42
Lists: pgsql-www

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 4:40 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:

> Greetings,

> > Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> writes:
> >
> > > In my suggestion, replies to bugs that are sent by a sensible MUA would
> > > have the bug # of the bug being replied to-
> >
> > Uh, how? Assuming that "your suggestion" refers to the 'X-Pg-BugId'
> > idea, I think the chances of that being included in replies are nil.
>
> As I said, it would be done in the same way that our archives already
> figure out threading and pglister could then add it.
>
> If we want something that would work with replies for direct CC, then
> we'd have to (ab)use a field that we know MUAs will copy to the next
> email on a reply and there's unfortunately few of those. At least
> some bug trackers have dedicated email addresses for individual bugs,
> probably for that reason, among others.

Technically we already have this for threads started in the form these
days, as you can trivially get the bug number out of the message-id, and
the message-id is one of the fields that *is* typically preserved (in the
References header).

It won't cover threads that are responded to by creating a whole new thread
and referencing the bug in the free text part of it, but there's really no
way to handle that form inside the email...

//Magnus