Re: A error happend when I am clone the git repository

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, Wen Yi <chuxuec(at)outlook(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A error happend when I am clone the git repository
Date: 2022-06-20 20:31:21
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 6:48 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com> writes:
> >> <https://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git>|
> >> |Cloning into 'postgresql'...|
> >> |remote: Enumerating objects: 30747, done.|
> >> |remote: Counting objects: 100% (30747/30747), done.|
> >> |remote: Compressing objects: 100% (13431/13431), done.|
> >> before end of the underlying stream|
>
> > I have to believe it is related to bleeding edge OS Fedora 36 in
> > combination with latest Git 2.36.1.
>
> No, I think it's more about this:
>
> >> I check the download speed,that is about 220kb/s.
>
> I've seen this failure multiple times on very slow machines.
> I think there's some sort of connection timeout somewhere in
> the git.postgresql.org infrastructure, causing a "git clone"
> that takes more than a couple of minutes to fail. I've
> complained about it before, but we've not isolated the cause.

The last time we debugged it pretty much the only conclusion we managed to
come to I think was that it is *not* in the git.postgresql.org
infrastructure. I tried it from *many* different locations and it worked
fine from all of them, even when artificially slowing it down to something
much slower.

So yes, there is *something*, but it's not with in the pg.org
infrastructure.

One thing we got to work that time, I think, was to run:
git config --global http.version HTTP/1.1

--
Magnus Hagander