Re: Getting Started section

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Maciek Sakrejda <m(dot)sakrejda(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Getting Started section
Date: 2016-03-04 11:41:49
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:51 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> > On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >> Agreed, but I should think that properly packaged versions of Postgres
> >> will come with some package-specific instructions. Is that missing
> >> in Debian's version, or out of date, or did he just not read it?
>
> > It's definitely there for debian - it's in
> > /usr/share/doc/postgresql-common/README.Debian.gz
>
> > The bigger question is, is it worth actually more or less importing the
> > contents of that into our main documentation.
>
> I'm definitely -1 on that; there are too many distinct packagings and they
> change asynchronously to our releases. As a concrete example, the docs
> for Red Hat's version needed to change when they moved from SysV init
> scripts to systemd boot. Would we want to keep *both* versions of that
> in our manual, and explain exactly which RHEL/CentOS/Fedora versions the
> different texts applied to? No thanks ...

They have to be maintained *somewhere*. We could also ask the same people,
at least for the major platforms, to maintain it as part of our
documentation. Doing that would certainly make it easier for *new users*,
who are the target of this...

If not the whole docs, then we should at least include *exact* instructions
for where to find the platform specific docs for big platforms. As in
explicitly tell people where the doc files are located on debian, redhat,
etc.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/