Re: Broken linkparsing in archives

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Broken linkparsing in archives
Date: 2022-11-02 12:39:38
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, Nov 2, 2022 at 1:31 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:

> Looking at past announcements I noticed that Markdown links were parsed
> and/or
> rendered incorrectly in the archives. The example email that I noticed it
> on
> was this:
>

> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/163724833494.26187.1931723451787420391@wrigleys.postgresql.org
>
> ..but it happens on all it seems, a more recent example:
>

> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/166472941958.662.2706300812023074847%40wrigleys.postgresql.org
>
> The rendered links follow the same pattern, the last word in the markdown
> text
> block is prepended to the url block and all of it added as the href:
>
> [call for papers](https://2022.nordicpgday.org/cfp/)
>
> becomes:
>
> [call for <a href="http://papers](https://2022.nordicpgday.org/cfp/)"
> rel="nofollow">papers](https://2022.nordicpgday.org/cfp/)</a>
>
> Is this a known issue?

Well, there is no markdown support at all :) So what happens comes out as a
result of trying to extract links out of plaintext. This in turn is handled
by the django urlize filter:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/3.2/ref/templates/builtins/#urlize

Thus:

>>> from django.utils.html import urlize
>>> urlize('[call for papers](https://2022.nordicpgday.org/cfp/)')
'[call for <a href="http://papers](https://2022.nordicpgday.org/cfp/
)">papers](https://2022.nordicpgday.org/cfp/)</a>'

And I'm not sure they *should* be considered, since the mime type of the
body isn't markdown...

//Magnus