Re: 9.5 Release press coverage

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Umair Shahid <umair(dot)shahid(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.5 Release press coverage
Date: 2016-01-13 14:57:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 7:40 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
> wrote:
> > The wording itself wasn't very good, with the way the "announced" verb
> was
> > used. We certainly can't prevent them from doing that, but we should
> forward
> > that feedback and ask that they be more careful about that wording the
> next
> > time.
>
> I'd really like to understand what wording would be found acceptable
> to the community. I think it's natural for a press release put out by

Specifically "today announced the general availability of PostgreSQL 9.5,
released by the Postgres community". The subject is actually better and is
what should've used in that place as well ("EnterpriseDB Announces Improved
Database Integration, Scalability and Data Analytics Productivity with
Newly Released PostgreSQL 9.5" -- because that's actually what the
announcement is about).

But the point is that it's not EnterpriseDB that announces the availability
of PostgreSQL 9.5 -- that's the PostgreSQL community.

and
"To learn about PostgreSQL 9.5, email sales(at)enterprisedb(dot)com"

I'd venture to say that your sales people aren't really the best people to
talk about PostgreSQL 9.5 :P They are probably the right people to talk
about EDB's offerings around PostgreSQL 9.5 of course.

Overall I stand by thinking that it's certainly not perfect (nothing ever
is), but the majority of it is perfectly fine. It just opens and closes on
the slightly wrong note.

> a company to begin with the name of that company. The press release
> says in the first sentence that the release was made by the PostgreSQL
> community. Simon seems to think that's unacceptable, but I can say

Are we looking at the same thing? In mine it says that in the first
sentence of the third paragraph, not the first sentence (4th paragraph if
you include the tagline). I'm looking at
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAOW=PeL3KBBOFDhQBR2GCw-s2afEw8iWy+dF38PaiYGa4=VrVQ@mail.gmail.com
.

The rest of the release I personally think is fair. It focuses on EDB
developed features, that's fair game. It mentions other features without
explicitly marketing who wrote them - I think that's fair as well. (It
*does* actually mention features written by others, such as BRIN and RLS.
Which is definitely fair!)

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/