Dynamic background workers & docs question

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Dynamic background workers & docs question
Date: 2014-03-24 08:54:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I was looking at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/bgworker.htmlwith a client
today.

It says:
"Unlike RegisterBackgroundWorker, which can only be called from within the
postmaster,RegisterDynamicBackgroundWorker must be called from a regular
backend."

Is that the correct restriction? In particular, don't we allow calling
RegisterDynamicBackgroundWorker from another background worker? (In the
launcher/worker kind of scenario, like AutoVacuum).

Also:
"Background workers are expected to be continuously running; if they exit
cleanly, postgres will restart them immediately. "

This doesn't apply to dynamic ones, which we might want to clarify. Do we
have a "term" for non-dynamic background workers? "static workers"?

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/