Re: Netapp SnapCenter

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Paul Förster <paul(dot)foerster(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "Wolff, Ken L" <ken(dot)l(dot)wolff(at)lmco(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Netapp SnapCenter
Date: 2020-06-21 19:35:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 9:04 AM Paul Förster <paul(dot)foerster(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> > On 19. Jun, 2020, at 18:02, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> > When it comes to 'backup mode', it's actually the case that there can be
> > multiple backups running concurrently because there isn't actually a
> > single 'cluster wide backup mode', really.
>
> this is what I don't understand. Why would there be a reason to run
> multiple backups concurrently? I mean, using pg_start_backup() means I then
> have to backup (using whatever method) of the while PGDATA and not just
> some random file ${PGDATA}/base/13297/2685. And since I have to backup the
> whole of PGDATA anyway, why would I want to do that multiple times, even
> more so, concurrently?
>
> I read the backup doc but I just can't grasp the idea of why multiple
> concurrent backup capabilities should yield any benefit at all.

One not uncommon case is for example being able to provision a new replica
while a backup is running. Since replicas are provisioned starting off a
base backup, being able to run that concurrently is very useful. Especially
if base backups take a long time to run.

--
Magnus Hagander