Re: F5 - irritating behaviour

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Johann Spies <jspies(at)sun(dot)ac(dot)za>, pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: F5 - irritating behaviour
Date: 2017-11-02 13:34:02
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Johann Spies <jspies(at)sun(dot)ac(dot)za> wrote:
>
>> On Debian in Firefox
>>
>> If I terminate a running query, change it and press F5 again, a
>> notification jumps up asking me whether I want to leave the page!
>>
>> Then I have to use the mouse to activate the query again.
>>

> It sounds like Firefox is grabbing the keypress. That shouldn't happen as
> long as the query tool has focus. Is that the case?

Arguably it is pgadmin that expects to grab it from Firefox :) It's
actually pretty horrible in general that a website *can* hijack hotkeys
from the browser. I have issues with this all the time in other web systems
(haven't really had a problem with pgadmin, but it's the same general
thing) given that some hotkeys are different in different locales and the
developers didn't consider that.

> I am not actually sure whether it is always after a query was terminated
>> that this happens. I am just getting a bit fed-up with this behaviour.
>>
>> Is there a way to get Ctl-E back as it was on pgadmin3?
>>

> I honestly had no idea Ctrl+E worked in pgAdmin III. The documented key
> was F5 there too.

I used Ctrl-E all the time :)

> We are looking into the idea of making shortcut keys configurable, so that
> may solve this.

That would indeed be great, and would solve the more general case I
mentioned above as well (which I'm sure hurts somebody in some locale
already).

//Magnus