Re: Windows installation problem at post-install step

From: Dave Page <dave(dot)page(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Sandeep Thakkar <sandeep(dot)thakkar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ertan Küçükoglu <ertan(dot)kucukoglu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Windows installation problem at post-install step
Date: 2024-07-22 12:19:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi

On Mon, Jul 22, 2024 at 1:02 PM Sandeep Thakkar <
sandeep(dot)thakkar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2024 at 5:21 PM Sandeep Thakkar <
> sandeep(dot)thakkar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> EDB's windows installer gets the locales on the system using the
>> https://github.com/EnterpriseDB/edb-installers/blob/REL-16/server/scripts/windows/getlocales/getlocales.cpp and
>> then substitute some patterns (
>> https://github.com/EnterpriseDB/edb-installers/blob/REL-16/server/pgserver.xml.in#L2850)
>> I'm not sure why we do that but that is the old code and probably @Dave
>> Page <dave(dot)page(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> may know but I'm not sure if that
>> piece of code is responsible for this change in encoding in this case.

It was to work around limitations in the way we could return data from an
external program to BitRock InstallBuilder. I forget the precise details as
it was something like 15 years ago, but essentially BitRock couldn't read
output that contained (certain?) non-alphanumeric characters, so I had to
do that crazy encode/decode dance.

--
Dave Page
VP, Chief Architect, Database Infrastructure