Issue Installing PostgreSQL 17 on Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy)

From: Jyoti Saxena <jyotisaxena(dot)mcm(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Issue Installing PostgreSQL 17 on Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy)
Date: 2024-08-26 06:52:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I’m encountering an issue while trying to install PostgreSQL 17 on my
Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy) system. I followed the installation instructions from
the official PostgreSQL website
https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/.

When I run the command sudo apt -y install postgresql-17, I receive the
following message:

Reading package lists... DoneBuilding dependency tree... DoneReading
state information... DonePackage postgresql-17 is not available, but
is referred to by another package.This may mean that the package is
missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source.

Here’s what I’ve already tried:

1. Updated the package list with sudo apt update.

2. Verified that the PostgreSQL Apt Repository is added correctly with

deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ jammy-pgdg main.

3. Checked available packages using apt-cache search postgresql-17.

4. Despite these steps, I’m unable to install PostgreSQL 17. Could you
please advise on how to resolve this issue or if there's something I might
be missing?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Jyoti