Re: streaming replication question

From: Roberto Scattini <roberto(dot)scattini(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: streaming replication question
Date: 2013-03-21 18:45:43
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Roberto Scattini <
roberto(dot)scattini(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> hi list,
>
> i'm installing a streaming replication master-slave setup in ubuntu 12.04
> LTS, with postgresql 9.1
>
> the tutorials and the documentation are a very good start point, but i
> have one question related to some fine grained configurations.
>
> it is said that i should stop the master db in order to make de starting
> backup, OR run pg_start_backup and keep the archive files for the slave to
> catch up. if i dont do this, maybe the slave stays far behind the master
> and the wal_segments arent enough to start the replication.
> if I understand this right, i can "combine" the old "warm standby" configs
> of archive_command in the master and restore command in the slave to ensure
> that the slave will have the necessary info to start the replication.
>

> i mean, i can have both configurations enabled?

no, i think my setup, with this config, is just doing warm standby. but the
streaming replication was working before adding archive_command to master
and restore_command to slave.

i used the info from this site:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Streaming_Replication

--