Re: BUG #18558: ALTER PUBLICATION fails with unhelpful error on attempt to use system column

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18558: ALTER PUBLICATION fails with unhelpful error on attempt to use system column
Date: 2024-08-14 22:28:43
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, 14 Aug 2024 at 16:52, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2024 at 5:45 PM David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Here's the patch updated to do the validation inside AlterPublicationTables().
>
> I think we've come full circle -- your fix is now pretty much the same
> as my v3 patch [1].

Thanks for having a look at the patch.

I don't agree that this is full circle. My motivation for the
additional changes is the API cleanliness of the function you're
making extern. I mentioned this in my 2nd paragraph in [1]. I didn't
like that you wanted to make the external function populate an array
and a Bitmapset with the same information. I think just having the
Bitmapset is fine and the array adds needless overhead and confusion.

As for this being backpatched or not. For me, about 51% of me thinks
this is fine for a master-only fix.

Does anyone else have any thoughts about back-patching the fix?

David

[1] https://postgr.es/m/CAApHDvo2i1j_iCFcURx5q7jYe70qk4Ca7J+8Dt9_jSMOdooAOA@mail.gmail.com