Re: A minor bug in doc. Hovering over heading shows # besides it.

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Muhammad Ikram <mmikram(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A minor bug in doc. Hovering over heading shows # besides it.
Date: 2024-08-12 02:19:06
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, 19 Jul 2024 at 06:03, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> On 7/18/24 1:59 PM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> > Looking a bit closer, the Python documentation does just this, a pilcrow with a
> > tool-tip ("Link to this heading") when hovering over it
>
> I forgot why we went with the "#" and not the (TIL the name) pilcrow
> symbol, but I'm generally used to seeing the pilcrow when I browse docs
> and may have voiced that at the time (though the record may show
> otherwise). So +1 to that.

I'm not really a web developer, but I did have a go at adjusting the
.css file so we show some relevant tooltip text. I was reminded about
this when looking at [1] this morning. That page is using '#' but the
purpose of it seems quite obvious when combined with the tooltip.

I've attached a small patch to adjust the CSS with hopes that it might
inspire someone who actually knows what they're doing with CSS to make
it better.

David

[1] https://stackoverflow.blog/2024/07/24/developers-want-more-more-more-the-2024-results-from-stack-overflow-s-annual-developer-survey/

Attachment Content-Type Size
add_tooltip_to_heading_links.patch application/octet-stream 620 bytes