constraint_exclusion not working correctly

From: PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: hmoustaid(dot)mships(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: constraint_exclusion not working correctly
Date: 2024-08-14 15:28:59
Lists: pgsql-docs

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/ddl-partitioning.html

Hello,

I have noted that, in order for constraint exclusion to work correctly when
partitioning using inheritance, we must use simple comparisons in check
constraints (e.g., =, >=, <=, BETWEEN, etc.). If conditions are combined
using AND or OR, unnecessary partitions may be scanned.

Therefore, the example in this PostgreSQL documentation will not work
properly with constraints like CHECK (logdate >= DATE '2006-02-01' AND
logdate < DATE '2006-03-01'). However, it will work with the BETWEEN
operator.

Regards