Re: WAL replication from an Old Production server

From: Samed YILDIRIM <samed(at)reddoc(dot)net>
To: KK CHN <kkchn(dot)in(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL replication from an Old Production server
Date: 2022-12-14 12:48:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello KK,

I recommend you to check the link below. It includes a step by step
tutorial for streaming replication.

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Streaming_Replication

On Tue, 13 Dec 2022 at 12:17, KK CHN <kkchn(dot)in(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> List,
>
> I have to perform WAL Streaming replication configuration for
>
> An existing small production server with 600 GB of size grown over for
> two years. There is no WAL replication in place configured as of now.
>
> 2. If I want to perform WAL replication to a new Standby Server
> How to copy the 600 GB of DB data to Standby? OR when we configure
> the WAL replication attributes on primary and standby will the Standby
> automatically copy all the 600 GB data to the defined WAL archive dir ?
>
> Or Do I need to manually copy the data directory of primary by SCP over
> NW or by copying the data directory of Primary to a USB disk and manually
> copy to the WAL archive_dir folder defined in the standby ? What method
> to follow ? why?

It is up to you. You can initialise your standby instance by either using
pg_basebackup or copying the cluster manually.

> 3. In WAL streaming replication what ports/protocols are used for copying
> the data directory of primary to archive_dir of standby server and for
> Streaming ?

It uses PostgreSQL's replication protocol and PostgreSQL's port.
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/protocol-replication.html

Best regards.
Samed YILDIRIM