Re: 20220221-Clarification regarding PostgeSQL DB backup

From: Daevor The Devoted <dollien(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Techsupport <techsupport(at)sardonyx(dot)in>
Cc: "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 20220221-Clarification regarding PostgeSQL DB backup
Date: 2022-02-21 05:35:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Karthick

I'm a little rusty on PG (it's been about a decade since I last worked
intensely with it), but I seem to remember that restoring with indexes can
be very slow. The faster approach is to restore *without* indexes, and then
create the indexes once the data restore is complete.

My knowledge may be outdated, so best to check with others that have more
recent knowledge. However, it's probably worth investigating in the
meantime.

Okay, I just had a quick look at the documentation, and it seems there is
an option to run multiple concurrent jobs for the time-consuming parts of a
restore (which includes index creation):

-j *number-of-jobs*

see: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/app-pgrestore.html (or check
the docs for whatever PG version you have)

Good luck!

~~Na-iem Dollie