5 tables with 3 different relation cases

From: JORGE MALDONADO <jorgemal1960(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 5 tables with 3 different relation cases
Date: 2021-12-14 02:32:22
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I have 5 tables related among them so that:

* T1 is parent of T2
* T2 is parent of T3
* T3 is parent of T4
* T4 is parent of T5

[image: image.png]

However, in some cases one table is missing so that:

* T1 is parent of T3
* T3 is parent of T4
* T4 is parent of T5
[image: image.png]

3 relations in total.

And yet, in some cases an additional table is missing so that:

* T1 is parent of T4,
* T4 is parent of T5

[image: image.png]
The 5 tables always have the exact same fields but, of course, the
relations are different among each case.

Is there a way to design the schema so that I always have 5 tables and make
T2 and T3 "invisible" for cases #1 and #2?

Or should I consider 12 tables: 5 for case #1, 4 for case #2 and 3 for case
#3.

I will very much appreciate your feedback.

Respectfully,
Jorge Maldonado