Re: Memory exhaustion on large query

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Brice André <brice(at)famille-andre(dot)be>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Memory exhaustion on large query
Date: 2021-12-12 18:43:51
Lists: pgsql-sql

=?UTF-8?B?QnJpY2UgQW5kcsOp?= <brice(at)famille-andre(dot)be> writes:
> The content of the table is so huge that, if PQsendQueryPrepared retrieves
> all data, or if postgresql engine is creating temp file with all data, the
> query cannot succeed (I have no enough RAM or disk space to copy the whole
> data). But I was expecting that using PQsendQueryPrepared and PQgetResult
> would avoid this by returning one result at a time.

You're confusing asynchronous mode with single-row mode. Async mode,
per se, doesn't change memory consumption; it just lets you do something
else while waiting for the query result. You are (I suppose) missing
a call to PQsetSingleRowMode --- see

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq-single-row-mode.html