Re: PL/Java new build plugin

From: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Cc: pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PL/Java new build plugin
Date: 2020-08-03 19:25:51
Lists: pljava-dev

> I just noticed, comparing to how the current documentation site looks,
> the maven-javadoc-plugin actually doesn't produce a vestigial Doxia
> report containing a link to the javadocs. It somehow arranges for the
> link to the JavaDocs report to go directly to apidocs/index.html.
>
> I'm sorry I hadn't spotted that before. Have you seen how they did that?
> It would be a nicer experience, and maybe would make the scripting shorter
> also. (And eliminate the temptation to write a fluent wrapper around Sink.)

I have fixed this. I checked maven javadoc code but there was nothing much
obvious from it. I then compared the project-reports.html file for the
plugins and found what the issue was. Generating the file using sink was
actually wrong and wouldn't have worked anyways. (Not in the current setup
at least.) Further details are in the commit message.

For git commit messages, there's a kind of widely followed but unofficial
> convention to have a top-line summary of no more than 50 characters,
> then a blank line and any further description as paragraphs below that.
>
> I guess it's a little bit official; 'git help commit' mentions it:
>
> Though not required, it's a good idea to begin the commit message with
> a single short (less than 50 character) line summarizing the change,
> followed by a blank line and then a more thorough description. The text
> up to the first blank line in a commit message is treated as the commit
> title, and that title is used throughout Git. For example, git-format-
> patch(1) turns a commit into email, and it uses the title on the
> Subject line and the rest of the commit in the body.
>
> If you use commandline git commit and it starts up vim, you'll notice
> the first line as you are typing will change color at character 50, just
> as a kind of gentle reminder.

I have now configured my IDE so that such issues do not occur in future.

I have been checking out nar maven plugin's codebase to see how to invoke
the C compiler and so on. It seems that the plugin delegates at least some
parts to ant. It creates a custom task and hooks its adapter for different
os, architecture and linker configurations into it. Do we want to use ant
for that part or follow a direct approach ?

Regards,
Kartik