Re: PL/Java new build plugin

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PL/Java new build plugin
Date: 2020-08-03 04:04:30
Lists: pljava-dev

On 08/02/20 13:58, Kartik Ohri wrote:
> (Sorry, for the multiple emails. It was some issue with my internet
> connection.)
>
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2020, 11:20 PM Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Hi! I wanted to ask if you have been able to take a look at the latest
>> changes ?

Thanks for the reminder, I had not. I have just looked over the commit diff
and from there they look good. I had never used the Nashorn getter-method /
property equivalence before. That's kind of tidy.

I just noticed, comparing to how the current documentation site looks,
the maven-javadoc-plugin actually doesn't produce a vestigial Doxia
report containing a link to the javadocs. It somehow arranges for the
link to the JavaDocs report to go directly to apidocs/index.html.

I'm sorry I hadn't spotted that before. Have you seen how they did that?
It would be a nicer experience, and maybe would make the scripting shorter
also. (And eliminate the temptation to write a fluent wrapper around Sink.)

For git commit messages, there's a kind of widely followed but unofficial
convention to have a top-line summary of no more than 50 characters,
then a blank line and any further description as paragraphs below that.

I guess it's a little bit official; 'git help commit' mentions it:

Though not required, it's a good idea to begin the commit message with
a single short (less than 50 character) line summarizing the change,
followed by a blank line and then a more thorough description. The text
up to the first blank line in a commit message is treated as the commit
title, and that title is used throughout Git. For example, git-format-
patch(1) turns a commit into email, and it uses the title on the
Subject line and the rest of the commit in the body.

If you use commandline git commit and it starts up vim, you'll notice
the first line as you are typing will change color at character 50, just
as a kind of gentle reminder.

Regards,
-Chap