Re: Using replication to upgrade db from 12 to 16

From: Kashif Zeeshan <kashi(dot)zeeshan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Frank Komsic <komsicf(at)shoeicanada(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-sql(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using replication to upgrade db from 12 to 16
Date: 2024-07-20 18:09:15
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi Frank

On Sat, Jul 20, 2024 at 11:00 PM Frank Komsic <komsicf(at)shoeicanada(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi Zashif,
>

> I read somewhere that it was possible to have a replication on an Upgraded
> major version I believe by using logical replication?

The restrictions I mentioned are with Physical Replication.
You can use Logical Replication which doesn't have these restrictions but
it has some of its own e.g.
1. It supports replication of Tables only
2. It support only DML Commands (INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE) and TRUNCATE (with
some restrictions)

You can check the restrictions on following link

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/logical-replication-restrictions.html

Regards
Kashif Zeeshan